Selling decisions and an update from Royston Monitor Farm
Sitting in the office 9 months pregnant, restlessly waiting for my baby to appear – I’m not sure is the best time to be making large scale marketing decisions of a crop that’s not even in the ground yet, but I am, so hey ho!
Last week I sold 13% of our 2015 harvest wheat for £140 base price and I am toying backwards and forwards with a spring barley contract at the moment for 50% of our 2015 crop for harvest movement at £150/t . The question is whether to lock in a premium or split the parcel to spread the risk (potentially at a £13/t difference)??? It’d be a lot easier to bury my head in the sand and do nothing but after turning a deal down last March for 850t wheat at a base of £155/t and instead doing four loads there’s a voice screaming ‘be brave!’
Life outside is much easier. We got all drilled and pre em’d in good conditions and three or four pre-drilling roundups on in most cases. We have decided to only do autumn Atlantis or not at all so the decisions have been made to do about 75% of our wheat and the rest will go untreated (in theory) as there’s no black-grass there yet. All the OSR has had its Kerb and the mustard is standing up to the frosts well.
On the farm in Hampshire the mustard had a happy accident and was drilled into a cultivated seedbed rather than direct… It’s now over 1m tall which poses a problem for cultivation so we have a grazier going to give it a go and hopefully leave us with something more available and more manageable!
With this year’s increased acreage we have been looking forward to the arrival in Feb of our new sprayer – only to be told this week it’s not coming until June at best – so another season of depreciation on ours that I guess we pick the tab up for!